Saturday 24 November 2012

Birthday Card Experimentation

Here is a birthday card I made the other day for a friend's Mum. I have never used the sewing machine like this before and I wasn't planning on even using one when I started. I was just going to use fine liner pens. I wanted to do something different as I use fine liners a lot. I have a lot of left over fabric from other projects I have done and so I thought I would have a go. 




It does look a bit scruffy in some ways but I will just say it's meant to look that way! I used a combination of zig zag stitches and straight stitches to make the cupcake. Starting off with the green polka dot fabric and layering each level on top. I did sew everything on to some greaseproof paper so that I could tear it off at the end but this plan failed when my bad sewing lines weren't quite right and left some holes which threatened it all falling to pieces! I did a bit of a repair job and I think I saved it? Eek. It is a pretty simple design really - I originally wanted it to be more complicated than this but sometimes simple is best I think.



I hand wrote the 'Happy Birthday' making use of a sticker I had which luckily tied in with the colours. Mounted on to card and gave it a bit more life with some sticky foam pads. A good first attempt I think. I plan on doing some more like this. I just need to invest in some proper fabric scissors! 

No comments:

Post a Comment